The Telecommunications Relay Service Advisory Committee advises the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation as to the administration of the telecommunication relay service also known as Wyoming Relay. Wyoming Relay provides telephone access to people who are deaf, hard-of-hearing, deaf-blind or speech disabled.
Duties of the TRS Advisory Committee include:
- Review and recommend policies and procedures governing administration of the program and ensure the program is in compliance with any applicable state and federal laws or regulations.
- Assist the state in obtaining certification for Wyoming Relay from the Federal Communications Commission.
- Monitor the expenditures of funds for the program and review budget requests for administration of services under the program.
- Monitor the quality of the program and satisfaction of the Wyoming Relay users.
- Assist in educating the citizens of Wyoming regarding Wyoming Relay services by providing public information.
- Evaluate potential service enhancements.
- Determine annually the amount of a special fee-per-access line surcharge.
Members of the Telecommunications Relay Service Advisory Committee are appointed by the Governor and serve at his pleasure. The committee consists of seven members - one from each appointment district. Not more than four members can be from the same political party. A committee member's term is three years and no member may serve more than two consecutive full terms. The committee meets at least three times a year. Committee members are reimbursed for travel expenses according to state policy.
The seven-member committee advises the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation as to the administration of the Telecommunications Relay Service for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired. The Governor appoints the committee members, with a member from each appointment district. Not more than four members are of the same political party.
Angela S. Turner
District 1 Rep
1st Term: 6/1/07
District 2 Rep
2nd Term: 6/1/07
District 3 Rep
1st Term: 6/1/08
District 4 Rep
1st Term: 6/1/07
District 5 Rep
2nd Term: 6/1/07
District 6 Rep
1st Term: 6/1/05
District 7 Rep
1st Term: 6/1/06
The following are the appointment districts:
- District 1
Laramie, Platte, Goshen Counties
- District 2
Albany, Sweetwater, Carbon Counties
- District 3
Uinta, Lincoln, Sublette, Teton Counties
- District 4
Campbell, Sheridan, Johnson Counties
- District 5
Park, Big Horn, Washakie, Hot Springs Counties
- District 6
Crook, Weston, Niobrara Counties
- District 7
Natrona, Fremont, Converse Counties
Individuals with any of the following characteristics or skills are particularly encouraged to apply to serve on the Telecommunications Relay Service Advisory Committee:
- a hearing or speech impairment;
- a family member or close personal friend with a hearing or speech impairment;
- knowledge of deafness or speech impairments or work experience in this area;
- knowledge or experience in the use of Relay and/or TTYs;
- knowledge or experience in the telecommunications industry or with telecommunications legislation;
- business or civic leadership skills or knowledge;
- knowledge or experience in educational outreach; or
- knowledge or experience in marketing and/or advertising.
Anyone interested in volunteering their time to serve on the TRS Advisory Committee is encouraged to submit a letter expressing their interest, an explanation of their qualifications, and a statement of their political party affiliation to and/or contact:
851 Werner Court, Suite 120
Casper, WY 82601
Interested individuals may also complete an application for Gubernatorial Appointment. Please visit the Governor's Boards and Commissions to find more information and download an application.